Embarking on the AI journey is an exciting yet challenging journey that demands careful consideration and strategic planning. We took the time to ask some crucial questions to ensure a successful AI implementation. We came up with 3 key requirements.
Key Questions and Considerations When Implementing AI Within Your Business
Source of Truth: Organized Data for Informed Decisions
Implementing AI begins with having a reliable source of truth – organized and high-quality data. It’s essential to know where sensitive data is stored and whether it needs to be kept separate from AI processes.
AI doesn’t operate in isolation; it requires training and input from both public sources and internal proprietary knowledge. Starting with off-the-shelf information is common, but the real potential is unlocked when AI can analyze patterns using organization-specific data. Ensuring existing data is structured and delivers value is crucial for AI success.
- What information will the AI use as its foundation?
- Is our data organized and of high quality?
- Can a person accomplish what we expect the AI to do given enough time?
- Do we know the location and sensitivity of our data?
- How can we ensure the AI respects governance policies, especially regarding sensitive information?
Realistic Goals: Starting Small and Building Momentum
Realistic goal setting is vital for the success of AI initiatives. Begin with specific challenges to solve, avoiding vague objectives like “how can I use AI to make more money?” Start small, achieve quick wins, and build momentum and trust within the organization.
- Are our goals achievable and measurable?
- Should AI operate independently or with human oversight?
- How can we start small and achieve quick wins?
- Are our vendors aligned with our AI goals, and are we leveraging their advancements in AI technology?
Look for repetitive tasks or patterns that AI can enhance. A few examples are:
- Data Entry and Processing
- Customer Support
- Email Management
- HR Processes
- Financial Analysis
- Appointment Scheduling
- Social Media Management
- Quality Control
Management Maturity: Measuring Expectations and Building Trust
Management maturity is crucial in the AI implementation process. Can you quantify requirements and expectations? Consider implementation and operating costs, along with how results will be interpreted, trusted, and refined.
Assess your operational maturity –
- How much time and attention can we invest in the AI initiative?
- What are our expectations for the effort and resources required?
- How do we quantify and measure the success of our AI initiative?
Understanding how perfect AI results align with your business goals ensures effective utilization and continuous improvement.
An AI journey is not without its complexities, but by asking these fundamental questions, organizations can navigate the challenges and reap the benefits of AI-driven innovation.
Watch the Full Webinar
Aldridge CIO, Chad Hiatt gives a candid update on our project to implement AI across our business. We want to share our AI journey, warts and all, because we believe that everyone who is interested in AI will benefit from the lessons that we have learned the hard way. Watch the full 2024 AI Update webinar to see the lessons learned from our AI journey.